About Me

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sweet Dumplings for Fruit Cobbler

I or members of my family have been sick for the past 3+ weeks.  I'm worn out honestly.  The weather is nice, I have lots of activities I'd like to attend, just not really the energy to do it yet.  I've been on the mend for over a week now.  I'm hoping everyone else is on the upswing too.

We had dinner guests tonight and I made a Peach Blueberry Cobbler for dessert.   Summer desserts are some of my favorite.   I Love chocolate.  Especially good chocolate where you only want a bite or three.  Cakes and Pies are delicious as well.  However, there is something unmatched about baking with delicious fruit, fresh in season!  These are the desserts I contemplate making two of, and hiding on in the corner cupboard just for me.  The types of desserts that if there is a bit left in the pan after dishing everyone up,  I WILL devour it without thought of sharing!

This is my go to dumpling recipe no matter what fruit i'm cooking with.  I feel it goes with most everything, and can still yield a good result when I do it quick and dirty (meaning, I'm not measuring much).  I have used so many liquids, and they've all worked well with slight flavor variations.  I prefer the buttermilk so far.  Though I am tempted to make this with coconut cream the next time I have some on hand,  I'm willing to bet, it would be delicious too!

Sweet Dumplings

Instructions:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup cream, half and half, buttermilk, evaporated milk, or even, plain ole milk
Directions:
  1. Combine Flour, Sugar, Powder, Salt and the lemon peel in your mixing bowl.  
  2. Using a pastry blender cut in your butter till you have a mixture that resembles corn meal.
  3. Pour in your choice of liquid.  Combine only until all dough is moistened and evenly mixed.
  4. Drop spoonfuls over your prepared filling.  Sprinkle with nutmeg if you wish.  I usually do!
  5. Bake at 400 Degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
I am tempted to make this with coconut cream the next time I have some on hand,  I'm willing to bet, it would be delicious too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails