About Me

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Third Body Balm Attempt

I noticed last night that the lotion that I made up pre-Christmas for Porter and I was about gone. Since his skin has stayed at a small rash instead of full blown red pocks, scratched till bloody, I've considered it a success. I also used the balm on my poor tummy in the last month of carrying Abigail and was surprised how supple my skin felt. My hope is that my skin will repair better because of it...... We all need to hang onto those little hopes, they get us through the days.
So, I took my first attempt - a Massage Bar that ended up having too much beeswax in it. Once you rubbed really hard with it, your skin felt nice, but it was just too hard to be practical - and combined that with a few oils that I have since acquired in my stash. I added in Rape Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Flax Seed Oil, and Evening Primrose Oil. Once all that was melted in the double boiler, I poured in a bit of witch hazel and took my hand held mixer to it. I had not used the blender on my previous batch of lotion but I think its a big key to making the lotion 'lighter'. Considering this was just a throw together batch, I am very pleased with the results. If you're interested in making lotions or balms, this is the recipe I (almost) followed the first batch. I didn't use any water, just used more witch hazel. I also used a few different oils to make up the 1/2 cup of almond oil. If you are adventurous, you'll definetily want to read up on the quality of oils so you can create you own concoction.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how the blender would make it really nice.. That is great to hear that it did so well for Porter! I am so dry right now for the winter, I should really give it a try...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails