We had dinner guests tonight and I made a Peach Blueberry Cobbler for dessert. Summer desserts are some of my favorite. I Love chocolate. Especially good chocolate where you only want a bite or three. Cakes and Pies are delicious as well. However, there is something unmatched about baking with delicious fruit, fresh in season! These are the desserts I contemplate making two of, and hiding on in the corner cupboard just for me. The types of desserts that if there is a bit left in the pan after dishing everyone up, I WILL devour it without thought of sharing!
This is my go to dumpling recipe no matter what fruit i'm cooking with. I feel it goes with most everything, and can still yield a good result when I do it quick and dirty (meaning, I'm not measuring much). I have used so many liquids, and they've all worked well with slight flavor variations. I prefer the buttermilk so far. Though I am tempted to make this with coconut cream the next time I have some on hand, I'm willing to bet, it would be delicious too!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cream, half and half, buttermilk, evaporated milk, or even, plain ole milk
- Combine Flour, Sugar, Powder, Salt and the lemon peel in your mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender cut in your butter till you have a mixture that resembles corn meal.
- Pour in your choice of liquid. Combine only until all dough is moistened and evenly mixed.
- Drop spoonfuls over your prepared filling. Sprinkle with nutmeg if you wish. I usually do!
- Bake at 400 Degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
I am tempted to make this with coconut cream the next time I have some on hand, I'm willing to bet, it would be delicious too!