About Me

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Adventures in an alternative Sour Dough


A friend of mine gave me a sourdough start in April.  Actually, she gave me five.  I put them in the fridge to keep for a few days till I could get to them but since then, we've been cooking!
I know that Amish Friendship Bread comes with a little handout and  recipe with specific instructions on it's feeding schedule, how and when to split the mixture and yet more details on how to spread it around to the whole world, 5 friends at a time.  Grand Ambitions... and on their preferred schedule, I believe it could be achieved.  However, I also think that majority of people are really missing what a gem this ziplock bag of goo on the counter really is.  Sure.  The cinnamon laden Amish friendship cake is amazing.  But, it has so much more potential!
I love their slightly sourdough pancakes and waffles.  Both are delicious!  I would not give up my traditional waffle recipe, but I would love to keep this as an alternative.  My favorite resource for recipes, most of them being reviewed, can be found here.

The morning is going to be crazy at the least, as I finished bedtime with all the children at 10:45.  That is up to 3 hours late for some of them!    Knowing this, I'm hedging my bet tonight by preparing breakfast for the morn.
I found a Apple Cranberry Nut Bread recipe that is made with the starter.

I had to make some subs from lack of ingredients, and others I choose to add out of preference.
I wanted to make them with all wheat flour to give them a bit more staying power and help propel every one through their meetings in the morning.  I added the coconut at the end on a whim.  I wouldn't change that, as it added a delicious added note!

Apple Cranberry Nut Amish Friendship Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 vegetable oil
  • 6 beaten eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 cups wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup craisins
  • 1 cup shredded apple
  • 1 shredded carrot
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup smashed pecans

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F
  2. Beat eggs, then combine all ingredients in Bosch.
  3. Bake in large muffin tins for approximately 25 min*.
These are a delicious muffin.  Not too sweet, but still yummy enough to devour.  A great Breakfast!
*My oven is a bit wonky, please don't go off of this time measurement by faith alone!


On a side note, while you're waiting for those muffins to bake,  macerate some strawberries with fresh mint leaves.

Thinking these are destined to be served over some ice cream tomorrow topped with some whipped cream!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails