About Me

Monday, May 7, 2012

Strawberry Preserves

I have recently been participating in a coop called Bountiful Baskets.  They are a grassroots volunteer ran organization that works together to get fruit and vegetables at rock bottom prices. I've been very happy with their produce in volume and quality.  They have a standard share that fills much of a laundry basket for $15 dollars and also great value's available to add-on, such as sour dough bread, granola, and extra portions of fruits and veggies.
This past weekend, I ordered 40 lbs of Strawberries for 60 dollars.  I wanted to prepare them over the weekend, but sick babies negated that plan.  So today, armed with the help of the children, I set to work.
We washed, hulled, and mashed 36 lbs of Strawberries in a few short hours.  It's amazing what team work can do!

With all the preparation done we made;

  • 4 quarts, 4 pints and 4 half-pints of Strawberry Syrup
  • 9 pints of Strawberry Jam
Since I ran out of lids, we stopped there and cleaned up the kitchen for the day leaving 1.5 gallons of Strawberry puree in the fridge awaiting to be used in other recipes.  I'm looking at; 

I would use my mothers recipe for the Rhubarb Strawberry Jam, but the other two recipes are ones that I've never tried, but am interested in.  I'm excited to add these jars to my food storage shelves.  I find extreme joy in the work involved in canning, but I am almost giddy when I go to the closet to get out some type of food I put away months before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails