About Me

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Curried Coconut Chicken


Since moving to Washington, I've fallen in love with Indian foods. Thai too, but that is another post, and we really should concentrate on getting one post up before we commit to a repeat. I first tried to recreate Butter Chicken, since that was my absolute favorite dish at all the restaurants..... It didn't work out so well. But in conversations with friends, they suggested I try making a Coconut Curry dish. My husband and I have combined multiple recipes to create our favorite. Through many months of tailoring, we have the recipe that I will be cooking for a long time.

Curried Coconut Chicken

INGREDIENTS

1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons curry paste
1 Tablespoon garam marsala
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
Optional - (but I prefer to add them all)
1 zucchini
1 potato
1 handful chopped carrots
1/2 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and let them sit for a little bit.
Heat oil and curry paste in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about five minutes. You really want to infuse the oil. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 10 minutes until onions are translucent. If you need more oil in the pan, add it now. You do not want your onions to be swimming, but you do not want them to burn either. While you are waiting on those onions, prep the rest of your vegetables.
Drain your can of tomatoes, saving the liquid to add in at a later point. Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes. Then add the can of coconut milk. You can use Lite, or Regular here, both impart the same flavor. Once the milk has come to a boil, add chicken. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
Pour tomato sauce, prepared veggies, tomato liquid and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Adding all of the option ingredients makes a wonderful one pot meal and the flavors are wonderful. Turn down your heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally until thick. I recommend atleast 1 hour to really let all the flavors meld.
In the last ten minutes add the Garam Marsala. Do not over cook once you put this spice blend in as the flavors will cook out.
Serve over Basmati rice with homemade Buttered Naan. I dare you to not have multiple helpings :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Indian food! I am going to have to try this recipe. I have a recipe on my blog for some too here is the link http://andrewandambersfamily.blogspot.com/2009/02/time-for-some-updates.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails